"into marvelous light i'm running...
by the cross you are the way, the truth, the life.

lift my hands and spin around, see the light that i have found
oh the marvelous light, the marvelous light!"


Thursday, March 26, 2009

happy birthday b!!!

my grandfather is turning SEVENTY years old tomorrow! happy birthday b!!



i don't know if he's ever actually driven cattle once in his life, but i always think of my grandfather as a sort of urban cowboy. he's been involved with the Houston Livestock Show since before I was even a thought on any one's minds. He wears a cowboy hat and boots with a swagger I'm sure would make John Wayne proud. I don't know where he learned it - he grew up in the middle of Houston, but he can tell you all about cattle, horses, and rodeo things.

I've been blessed to live in the same city as both sets of my grandparents for my entire life. Honey & B have spent countless hours attending my little league games, school plays, cheerleading stuff, and various other boring events.

B has always called me Sweet Pea, as long as I can remember. I think that if I ever win an Academy Award (obviously for best actress in the remake of Steel Magnolias) or find myself one day making political acceptance speeches, it won't be hard to ramble on about where I am in life because of my supportive family.

Most phone conversations with my grandfather end with "Give 'em hell, Sweet Pea" or "Stay outta trouble, sweet pea." Whatever I do, B is always proud of me. I think I could decide I was going to be a garbage collector or a street performer or a zookeeper and B would be proud. "If it makes you happy, babe, it makes me happy." I hope that I can love my grandkids as unconditionally as B (and Honey) have loved me.

I can't believe B is 70!!He likes to say that my grandmother won the lottery when she married him. Although he tends to tell politically incorrect jokes and gets mad if you talk loudly while the six o'clock news is on, it's not far from the truth. (Very few people on this planet could put up with my grandmother on a regular basis, but that's a story for another day.)

Happy Seventieth Birthday B!! Love you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment