goodbye, freedom. hello, summer of teach for america. but i am so excited! it feels as if i have been waiting in line for oprah tickets or something, and now i'm finally going to the show!! just kidding, i'm over oprah. scratch that and write in ELLEN DEGENERES.
but i'm off topic. - it feels like months that i've been talking about teach for america training and just waiting. that's because it has been months! i found out in december i'd be a part of TFA in Houston, and here we are, six months later, and training starts- TOMORROW!
i know my schedule is going to be grueling but i'm sure it will be so worth it. the mission statement and goals of Teach for America are so thrilling and inspiring that i'm sure i'll just be more fired up as each day passes. i'm excited about meeting new people, challenging my way of thinking, and learning new things.
i think i'm a little nervous about living up to the hype or getting a big head. so many people say that TFA is very competitive, and although this is true, i am no extraordinary person or really awesome compared to my peers. i think that God really wanted me to be in this role for the next two years, that He has some things to teach me, and I also think that my leadership from Camp Longhorn helped me seem qualified in the application process.
Tomorrow I'll be meeting 249 other TFA Houston kids. A lot of them are Ivy Leaguers or GPA geniuses. I just pray that I'm not in too far over my head here.
I signed up for a daily bible verse email recently, and it has been such a blessing in such a short time. (Heartlight.org if you're interested.) The verse today was so applicable to me:
"Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed." Proverbs 16:3
When I did work crew with Young Life years ago, i was getting very little sleep and putting in long hours of physically tiring work, but I loved every minute of it. A lot of this was because of the fun, holy people I was surrounded with, but most of it was that we had to be commited to Christ daily. We had morning devotional time, prayer constantly, and nightly worship.
I think these next six weeks will be good if for one reason: when my time is less flexible, I am usually more diligent about reading the bible or going to God in prayer. And I know I can do none of this on my own, so I'm sure I'll be looking for unearthly strength alot.
Thanks for reading! Peace. Love. Education.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment