"into marvelous light i'm running...
by the cross you are the way, the truth, the life.

lift my hands and spin around, see the light that i have found
oh the marvelous light, the marvelous light!"


Tuesday, February 22, 2011

let's dance in the glow of those 51 birthday candles!

This time last year my mom turned 50! That same week she was diagnosed with uterine cancer – something that I prayed about, thought about, but didn’t talk much about. The same week as her fiftieth birthday and the scary, shocking news from the doctors, I was in the final rounds of interviewing to be Barbara Bush’s aide. What!? So many things going on. One of my students was an ongoing Child Protection Services case and an emotional roller coaster daily. I didn’t really know how to cope with it all.


I could ramble on about the stress in our lives last year and how I seemed to navigate on autopilot. I could talk about the blessings of cancer and the grace of God and having friends jumping out of the woodwork to love on my mom and our family. I could talk about how angry I felt that my mom was able to kick the cancer’s ass and that Jay Chenoweth wasn’t. I could talk about how it isn’t just a positive attitude and a good doctor that beats cancer – as if Homie was ready to leave Earth.


But, I won't go into all of that. I will talk about how glad I am that my mom, my closest friend, my confidante, my crazy, loud, and loving mother, has made another trip around the sun.
My mom turns 51 tomorrow. I think of all the tragedy in the world and how we can’t explain it. I think of the loss and the suffering and the pain and then I think of…my mom’s birthday. A wise, funny, courageous, genuine, caring, funny, supportive, delightful woman is turning another year older tomorrow. And in the days of botox and wrinkle creams and a lot of another nonsense to appear younger, I think about what a gift it is to grow old. We learned the hard way, alongside Mary and John and Willie and all the Chens – that growing old is not guaranteed. Growing old is a gift.


I can’t imagine a day on this earth without my mom. Abraham Lincoln said that he everything he was, he owed it all to his “angel mother.” Mohammad Ali said that the most important lesson in the world is how to be a friend. How blessed I am that my mother is one of my most wonderful friends!


We beat the cancer, through the grace of God. We learned to enjoy each day. We learned to share your life with others. We learned the value of kind friends. I learned that a hug is really not something you should push away. (Yes, I was 23 and still a “crack-baby” according to my family.)


I think my mom handled this past year with amazing courage and consistent grace. She didn’t have a pity party, but she wasn’t overly heroic. She stayed strong for all of us, but she was vulnerable enough to be loved on by dozens of friends and family. I don’t know why my mom beat cancer when others around the world, and so close to our hearts, do not. But I do know this: I’m so glad my mom is 51. I’m so glad she has laugh-lines and white hairs at her temple (look closely, people) and is getting…gasp!... “older.” I’m glad I can still hear her loud laugh when I want, and call her to vent or seek advice whenever necessary. (Everyday, yep.) I’m so glad I can give her a hug each time I see her.


My mom is SouthernLiving Magazine in the flesh. She is supportive, genuine, funny, fun to be around, a generous friend. She is hard-headed, opinionated, feisty, and charming. She delights in the joys of others, she is a glass-half-full kind of gal, she is a true hostess and full of grace and wit. She puts her faith in something solid. I can’t wait to see where the next year takes her.


My mom is turning 51 tomorrow! Some people think birthdays shouldn’t be a big deal – we all have them. But birthdays mark the fact that we have been given a gift. Life is finite. Life is short. Life has an expiration date. I love the quote from poet St. Edna Vincent Millay, which was used as a toast in a “River Runs Through It.”


“My candle burns at both ends,

It will not last the night;

But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -

It gives a lovely light.”

Our candles eventually blow out, but my mom is a wonderful example of burning your candle bright until it’s gone. (Her favorite color is lime green. If that’s not bright, I don’t know what is.)

So let's keep those candles lit for as long they are burning, and dance in the glow of the flame!

Thanks for reading, and happy birthday Catherine Gentry Robinson!


last year's party, for old times sake. RESPECT.

1 comment:

  1. ok. . . that was AMAZING.. . . just came across your blog and can't wait to explore more! :-) Happy Birthday to your mom! :-)

    ReplyDelete