
Ferris Bueller was really smart when he said "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop to look around once in a while, you might miss it." This is so true. I have no idea how four years have passed since April 2008, when I said "yes" to a job offer with the W. Bush administration in DC. First the WH internship, and then a job that led to experiences vastly different from what I envisioned for my senior year at Texas A&M, which led to me joining Teach For America, which rocked my world and shook up my life and thinking and passions. Exhausting and exhilarating, humbling and rewarding, my two years in the classroom with students led me to an incredible job. I get to meet with teachers frequently, have visited more than 20 Houston public school campuses, have heard about excellent administration and crummy principals, and have witnessed first hand the success and continued need for excellent teachers in all classrooms.
Enough of me rambling about how I love my boss, and the flexibility of my job, and the culture of the organization for which I work. I'll now direct you to a story about a Teach For America alumnus working here in Houston to get low income, minority students to and through top colleges. His story and the statistics he's researched are jaw-dropping. It's still sinking in that less than ten HISD students went to Ivy League schools last year. Ten. Our district serves over 200,000 students. How can we have just ten students attending some of the historically best colleges in our country? Why is that okay, for low income or not?
Anyway, I encourage you to read Rick's story that I compiled here. I dare you to finish reading it and not want to be involved. :)
Thanks for reading, and remember - this blog is purely my own opinion, and has no connection to the official organization. Thanks & gig em.
No comments:
Post a Comment