"into marvelous light i'm running...
by the cross you are the way, the truth, the life.

lift my hands and spin around, see the light that i have found
oh the marvelous light, the marvelous light!"


Wednesday, June 27, 2012

an engagement ring

*my great-grandmother, who we called "Dear", passed away January 24, 2012. She would have been 96 on Monday, June 25, the day I wrote this. As always, thanks for reading. 


Dear Dear, 


I miss you so much. I should start by saying we think of you often and talk of you much and every time I see a red cardinal I think of you. 


Today, you would be 96. I know heaven is so much more about God and praise and eternal things, and not much of the world, but I still think you might know how we're doing. Are there holes in the floor of heaven like that cheesy country song? No, likely not. Heaven is about much more than looking back on where you came. 


Anyways, in case you can't see me, my face is all lit up with love. And I'm pretty sure everyone else is glowing & happy, too. 


Dear, I can't believe you never met him, but we both have part of you with us now. And I like to think through stories and photos he pretty much knows you, and has a full picture - not a picture of sick and crying-out-in-pain Dear that was you last January, but the real Mary Ella, all 95 years of her. 


Those you know & love, Popa & Honey & B & Mike & Nikki & Mom & Dad & Abbey & Beau & even over-protective Gentry all loooooove Drew. They see how he treats me and makes me laugh and how much I absolutely adore him. I am my best self around him, Dear. And though Honey can't spell his last name nor always say it correctly, we're all pretty fired up here in Houston. Because, guess what, Dear? He proposed!!!!


Drew Prochaska asked me to marry him! 


And when he pulled out the ring Dear, you were actually right there. Popa gave my future man and Gentry each one of your beautiful shiny ear rings. Actually, you never said "earrings" did you? You always called them ear buttons. 


I know that rocks don't matter and I won't take it with me when I go, but. This ring is beyond all expectations, will never need any upgrading, is gorgeous and classic and timeless and unique - everything you taught Carrietta, Cathy, and I to be. (And Lene!) Well, and I guess you taught us other intangibles, too- like to be kind, loving, faithful. 


I'm so in love, Dear, and I think you'd be one of the happiest people for us if you were still here in the flesh. And, you'd be delighted to see how many people are happy for us! I feel like both of our families and all our friends have lit up like a big firefly! 


I look at my hand, Dear, and I feel so happy - not because of the bling or shine, but because of the promise and boy it's attached to. 


He proposed on Friday and it's too long to tell you now. I cannot imagine a better way to honor your birthday and your legacy of the love of you & Popa than putting your ear button in my wedding ring. I have you & Popa & Mom & Dad & Drew to thank for the planning behind that. 


And Dear, one other thing - remember when you used extra tulle lying around to make me a wedding skirt and veil when I was about six, and we paraded around the back patio while Gentry and Popa played with his dump trucks? 


Well, I'll actually be a real bride really soon. And, Gentry actually works with dump trucks on many days. Turns out you made quite the impact on your great-grandchildren. 



Love you so much, 
Courtney



1 comment:

  1. Full of so much love!!! So sweet. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete