"into marvelous light i'm running...
by the cross you are the way, the truth, the life.

lift my hands and spin around, see the light that i have found
oh the marvelous light, the marvelous light!"


Wednesday, July 31, 2013

'Merica

I love America and Americans for far too many reasons to list. I am proud and grateful to have been born here. People who complain about America, but are unwilling to make it better, should just move elsewhere. 

You want to sit around and talk about how other countries are so great, their healthcare is better, their lifestyle, yada yada yada - pack your bags. See ya. Because you know what? There is a wide, wide, wiiiiide world out there, packed full of people literally dying to make it to America. 

During my time with Teach For America, I learned firsthand that there are many people willing to sacrifice just about everything for a chance to be American. Most of my students were first generation Americans, families uprooted from Nigeria, Mexico, Guatamala, you name it. 

This week I'm in Africa, and I find myself incredibly convicted about my own complaining. We complain a lot in America. We actually get together with friends and gripe about our jobs, our stress, our boyfriends-or lackthereof, and we call it "happy hour." In reality, compared with 98% of the rest of the population, we have the golden ticket: we are fat. Rich. Happy. 

It is a compliment in Zambia to call someone fat - here, it means that you are rich, because you have enough money that you actually have excess food. These kids often eat once a day. Excess food is absolutely unheard of, as is excess body weight. 

Listen people, they called Meg Carrigan fat. Have you ever seen her in a swimsuit? I have. Sister is smokin'. Therefore, all Americans are fat. Yea, I'm looking at you, size two pinny pincher. You are both rich. And fat. (ahhh, that felt good.)

I vow to complain less. We sit around and try to one up each other with how hard our jobs are and how stressed we are and in reality, we should give thanks to God because we were born in what is arguably the best country on the planet. We are American, and we did nothing to deserve it. We should direct our energy and our focus not at negativity,but something productive: Let's talk about how are we going to be better at the job we have. How thankful are we for what our jobs provide us? I vow to dwell in gratitude. 

In Lusaka, Zambia, the university gets full, fast. They don't really have "dream jobs" over there. You dream of being a teacher, but the education school is full your year? Well, you become something else. 

In the US of good ol' A, the majority, especially anyone who is not impoverished, choose their jobs. We choose our situations. We choose our joy. If we are miserable, we likely made that misery. In America, we have too much to be happy about, and if a door is closed, we have windows upon windows of opportunity to go through. 

Will you pray this with me? Seriously. I don't write prayers on here much, or ever. Pray with me. 

Gracious God, 

Give me a heart of gratitude for all you have given me. My citizenship alone is worthy of a thousand thanks. 

You are a God of all nations and you love all your people. Clean my heart of negativity, create in me through your grace a heart of joy, contentment, and thanksgiving. 

All glory and praise to you, O God, my rock and my redeemer. 

In Christ's Name, AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment