I can hardly believe it's been 365 days since you arrived and rocked our worlds. My gosh, the joy and laughter you bring to our lives!
| the first day you were home from the hospital |
In later years, I hope you know how much I could not get enough of you - I've tried to see you often as I can, and for the first few months that meant I came over at least once a week. I can't get enough of the videos and pics your mommy sends us. CC takes great pics of you, too. (Lovie is working on her techie skills.)
| auntie steph & auntie kels giving you & Thomas bottles |
| Uncle Willie's game vs. Rhodes (you were not the team lucky charm, unfortunately.) |
| I love taking you for walks! |
| Ladies Who Lunch - you, me, Paige, and mommy out on the town |
Drew told some of our friends recently that he thought my "obsession with Clare" would die down once Thomas was born - but when I heard that, I said "impossible!" Nieces are different than daughters, and I will love you no less regardless of how many of our own children Drew and I may have.
Speaking of Thomas, you are so funny with him. What a gift to have cousins so close - both in age, and proximity. It is so fun to get the two of you together often!
I hope I never forget the time we were playing in your living room, Thomas laying on his back, about 4 months old. You were about 10 months old and crawling all over the place. You scooted over to Thomas, leaned over him and gave him a thoughtful gaze for a few long seconds, and then promptly yanked his pacifier out of his mouth and looked up at us as if you were so proud of what you had done. Thomas, usually not very fussy or startled, burst into loud cries. Which didn't seem to faze you, thus making us laugh even more! I also love watching you try to get him to clap. I think this will be your interaction for the next few years, with you one step ahead, wondering why this dude can't keep up with your tricks. Just give him time, Clare Bear! Someday it might be like your dad and myself: he'll grow much taller than you and jog faster than you can sprint. Take it from me, you should enjoy this while it lasts!
My friend Renza thinks it's very funny that I've compiled quite the collection of fussy pictures of you with me. When you were brand new, you were happy in my arms, but as you've grown, sometimes I pick you up or steal you from your mommy and a fit comes over you. See exhibit A, exhibit B, exhibit C, etc.
I love your independence, Clare. You're content to pull blocks out of baskets and put them back in, over and over, as you play at Lovie's while we all eat dinner or just watch you. You love to pet all the dogs (thank goodness, you're surrounded by those hairy beasts wherever you go) and you love to go for walks in your pink car. And, if we don't push you fast enough, you give us "the look." I've become very familiar with this look. You love to stand on your tippy tip toes and dance. Right now you love to open and close cabinets, too.
It has been a delight to be with you so much in your first trip around the sun, Clare. Your mom is the most loving, giving, generous person when it comes to you. I don't feel like her in-law but a true sista - all of your Carrigan peeps make us feel that way, actually - and I'm so thankful for all that your mommy has let me be a part of with you.
I loved watching you swim this summer at CC and Gunner's pool. You LOVE the water! Thomas' first swim was at CC and Gunner's with you! How fun! His first time to swing was in your front yard in your pink swing. So much of any mommy wisdom I have is just stolen from your mom. I wonder how many dozens of my questions she has answered because of the things she learned first with you. You already teach us so much, Catherine Clare!
Before I wrap up this note, I must document your love for jewels.
Yes, it's true, you've inherited your grandmother's love for shiny objects. You cannot get enough jewelry. Literally: If I'm wearing a bracelet or a watch, you are not satisfied until I hand it over to you. Once I thought you were reaching for me to pick you up out of your high chair, and I thought it was such a sweet moment, and then we realized, nah - you just wanted the bracelets off my right arm. Immediately.
Your Lovie is the same way, she loves baubles - the bigger, the better. And, she inherited her love of big bling from HER grandmother. Cathy and Mary Ella, (known to us as Lovie and Dear) are both women of incredible strength and faith. Both devoted to their families like few I've ever known. Both experienced great loss, and huge love, and strong marriages. May you grow up to be their kind of wife and mother. They weren't perfect, (oh, far from!) but they put absolutely everything they had into making their marriages and families blessed. And the blessings continue generations later because of them!
(And God bless your future husband if your love of shiny objects continues as you grow older. Bless.)
In conclusion...Happy First Birthday, Clare!
conspire to harass him together. Bob Goff says there are actually SIX love languages, not five... And the sixth is pranking. I hope he's enjoy the calm before the storm.
Last year, I told you this, my love, and don't you forget it - We are all so in love with you and so in awe of this miracle! May you grow up knowing how loved and cared for you are, baby girl. I cannot imagine a child born to a better team than the mom and dad you've got, and all the people they’ve got, loving on them, and thus, you.
I am so honored and proud to be your aunt.
Eskimo Kisses, Lolly
I am so honored and proud to be your aunt.
Eskimo Kisses, Lolly
| First Thanksgiving! At the Farm |
| You Visited Thomas in the Hospital! Your mommy & daddy tried to leave you in the hallway. |
| Checking out Thomas after he came home! |
| That Face! |
No comments:
Post a Comment