"into marvelous light i'm running...
by the cross you are the way, the truth, the life.

lift my hands and spin around, see the light that i have found
oh the marvelous light, the marvelous light!"


Monday, February 1, 2016

love your people well {the power of our words}

My brother has come a long way from our childhood, people. A long way. 

I mean, sure, haven't we all, you say, but this kid...Let me paint a picture for you. 

sweet glasses, bra. 
I remember him as a 6th grader, practicing the French horn in our game room, with his round cheeks and stubby legs. He pretty much hated anything after school that didn't involve TV, video games, and shooting squirrels in the backyard with his friend Ryan. (After a neighbor got mad when she saw them take out a squirrel in the front yard, my mom limited squirrel murdering to the privacy of our backyard.) 

Eventually he grew tall, past me, past dad, and now stands at 6 feet and has done two half-ironman triathlons and run a full marathon. I mean...what?! Homeboy used to grumble all the time about family exercise as middle schooler. How did we get here?!


I mention Bob Goff a lot - he is so inspiring, so genuine, so contagious. (Sidenote: I recommend his instagram account for insightful quotes, his book Love Does is a must read, and I like to listen to his podcast speeches.) 

Bob is all about loving the people around you well. He says in his book, Tell people who they are becoming, not who they were. Don't blow smoke, but tell people who you see God leading them to be. 


I am blown away by my brother. Partially because I am his loudest critic, but Gentry as an adult is pretty mind-blowing. As a husband, a dad, a businessman, a friend, a bible-study goer, certified crossfit instructor... And it's even more mind-blowing when you consider where he came from: 6th grade Gentry who had terrible table manners, a big crush on my BFF Stephanie, hated homework or hard work of any kind, and was obsessed with camo, guns, and shooting things. (Okay, so not everything has changed.) 

When Gentry took over our dad's business immediately following Dad's unexpected death, I had doubts. About all of it. Doubts about the work load for G, doubts about the pressure, the emotional toll it would take to sit at my dad's desk and answer his phone everyday, to break the news to clients that Tom had been in a plane accident, the list goes on. 

But with the help of our dad's office manager and super-star Ramiro who still works with G, the ship stayed afloat. Business went on, certainly not "as usual" but it went on. And here we are three years later, and Gentry is not just surviving in dad's role. He's thriving. The Renovate studio where I work is attached to Dad's office, which is now Gentry's. (I remind him often that our mom is the landlord/owner and he answers to her and she answers to no one. Because I'm a punk like that. And it's good for him.) 

Anyways, I walked into Gentry's office last week and noticed a new trophy/award among the ones my dad has earned over the years. What is this? Gentry was on the phone so I had to figure it out myself. Long Term Care Leader, Gentry Robinson, the plaque read. Wow!!!!! He's the leader for the entire Houston area, which is huge! And it's not based on Dad's previous business, but Gentry's work and client relationships. Way to go, Gentch! (I also was impressed that New York Life actually put Gentry on the award instead of his legal first name, Thomas. Way to go, Houston office staff!) 

My mom does not see herself as this, which is a shame, but she is a cheerleader for those around her. She is their champion. She and my dad were both that way, encouraging, motivating, "you can do it" attitude. Mom is excellent at telling people she's proud of them and that they're doing an awesome job. I know she tells G this all the time. And really, as difficult as he could be, my mom's dad was also a cheerleader. Specifically for those he loved. I hope to be like both of them. I hope my children and my grandchildren tell people that I rooted for them constantly, always, in the way that Gentry and I can say that of our parents and grandparents. Yes, there's a thin line between false flattery and true encouragement, so we have to be weary of that. 

Bob Goff puts it this way: 
“Words can launch us. We don't need to be a dean to say words that change everything for someone. Instead, God made it so that ordinary people like you and me can launch each other.” 

Numerous people helped launch Gentry into the role he's in now: they saw his character, his work ethic, and they told him who they saw him becoming, not who he used to be. Carrie Hall, Gerard, Kathy, Chip, friends, my mom, Amy, Steve and Catherine....their words launched Gentry. They didn't say "hey short, sixth grade, french-horn playing, squirrel shooting, homework avoiding Gentry really can't handle this." 

God does big things through us, our actions and words, our high-fives and our hugs. I forget that all the time. I forget daily: God does big things through us. 

I'm incredibly proud of my brother, and his wife. I know from watching my parents how influential your spouse can be to your success in this business. Amy is the best example of loving your people well - she has always seen Gentry's potential and fueled him towards who God is leading him to become. Where I see nerdy kid with a lot of hair gel, she sees a handsome hunk who is very hard-working and a wise businessman. 

What a great reminder that our words can launch others. Who are you going to help launch today? 

love and thank you for reading! 




No comments:

Post a Comment