"into marvelous light i'm running...
by the cross you are the way, the truth, the life.

lift my hands and spin around, see the light that i have found
oh the marvelous light, the marvelous light!"


Saturday, February 28, 2009

how to board a train while its still moving -and other useful things ive learned in europe

Ah, Europa. Where do I begin? I thought about starting a mass email again, washingtondc-style, but... am now in the world of blogging and think its more convienent because people can read at their own risk, without me cluttering their inboxes. The only downside is I dont get the responses from readers like I did while I was interning and emailing out crazy things, so please... if the mood strikes you, Id love an email or two in response. Love to hear how everyone is and what theyre up to. Leave a comment if you dont have my email and ill send you an email.

Okay, so what Ive learned in Europe... a lot. First let me start with telling you: Renza and I are having a blast!! I will probably backtrack upon my return to the United States with pictures and more details of what we did...

Today we are in Switzerland, where I will move one day. Love it. We went to the top of Mount Pilatus in a gondola - it is a tall peak in the Swiss Alps and overlooks Lake Lucerne. Gorgeous, and we were so blessed with blue skies and good weather. The mountain is named after Pontius Pilate, because the townspeople have a legend that his remains were buried under the lake around 1000 a.d. or something. Then he haunted the waters, drowning people and turning over boats, so for centuries they tried everything to get rid of the spirit or move his remains but there was no where to move them. Read it online, Im probably botchign the story. But cool to be here during Lent nonetheless.

I promise to explain more later, but here are some of my realizations:

1.) Its okay to board a train while moving. Just jump on, have a man help you throw your bags on, and look back for Renza. Chances are she'll be able to make it from the platform onto the moving train and all will be fine.

2.) Don't slide on the slides at playgrounds in Paris if you don't want to get in trouble. Yep, got chased out of a playground in the middle of Paris for playing on the slide. I can't be sure but I think the lady was yelling something about me being fat in French.

3.) I can survive 24 hours without Renza in Europe. Imagine me looking for Renz in the airport in Paris, knowing that she had been there for a few hours and would be anxiously waiting at baggage claim. I wandered for about 10 minutes and finally went to the American Airlines booth. When I asked if they could tell me if the 830 flight from Chicago had landed, they said no. I said, no you can't tell me? Shocked. No, she said, it didnt land. Postponed til tomorrow. Tomorrow??
My stomach dropped to the floor. I tried to stay calm as I found got Euros, bought a calling card, and dialed Renza. We talked, her flight had difficulties, she'd arrive at 830 the next day. Im fine, Im fine, I can do this. She had booked our airport shuttle and hotel. She was my rock, my lifeline. I would be fine.

And it turned out that I was. I very much enjoyed finding my way around the area near our hotel, I watched the sunset over the Seine and the Eiffel Tower, had some wine and called it a night. I know God was watching over me for sure. I couldnt stop smiling all day thinking - theres the Eiffel Tour. Here you are. Life is good.

4.) SLR cameras are worth every penny. Got the Costco package of the Nikon D60 for Christmas and let me tell you... Im practically Anne Gedes. Thanks, Mom and Dad!

5.) Ugandan men know how to shake it!!! Renz and I fought the urge to sleep last night and went to the club attached to our hotel. We felt like chaperones - the oldest of most by two to three years. We didn't have on fishnets or nearly enough eyeliner, but... there were two African dudes in there that knew how to rock the moves. Renza was kind enough to join me on the dancefloor after I said many times - I have to learn how to do that. And so they taught us some things, including... one of the guys put his hand on my backside and told me, Its all in the arse. I politely removed his hand and followed the moves. Watch out, America. Renza and I are returning one day....

6.) Swiss vodka is green and tastes like money. We tried a Swiss Vodka and Sprite last night - it is jolly rancher green, very good, and one beverage is apparentlyenough to bust your budget.

7.) God is big and working around the world. R & I went to Ash Wednesday service at an American Church on the river in Paris - it was awesome, inspiring, and it has been evident that God is working around the world. I love Lent season and Ash Wednesday, and who would have thought Id ever spend it with Renza in Paris? His grace is everywhere, in the big and small things, if you just keep your eyes open. That is my prayer for the next forty days, to have my eyes opened to His grace everyday, and ways I can share it with others.

8.) Nutella and singing Bonjour from Beauty and the Beast will solve all problems, including the economic crisis and world hunger. No explanation needed.

Ive rambled enough for now. Thanks for reading. Stay tuned for information on Renza's dueling personalities, sledding in the Swiss Alps, art that is really just junk, and my love for America.

For now, Im loving being in a country that speaks German. Alles meine liebe!!! (all my love)

Courtney

1 comment:

  1. Ha! You're fat! That's rich. These post are getting much better!

    ReplyDelete