I have an infinite number of questions for the world. After four years of college taking journalism classes learning how, when, why, and where to ask questions, I ask random things about almost anything and anyone. I find myself apologizing during conversations with people I’ve just met. “I’m sorry," I'll say. "Just tell me if I’m asking too many questions and I’ll stop.”
When Renza and I went to Europe earlier this spring, one of our intentions was to simply sit and observe other cultures. By the time we had made our way into Italy, I had compiled a mental list of questions, which I put on paper while on the train from Venice to Florence.
Some of my questions were quite trivial – where does one buy house paint in Italy? Where does all the trash in Venice get hauled off to? Why is it socially acceptable for men to wear such tight pants in Europe?
And some questions were more serious - If Mark’s remains are in Venice, where are the other disciples? Why do I not know how each of them died? (I need to read a book on this.)
Why does God assign some to be beggars on European streets and me to have so many blessings? Why is health care so unaffordable? Is it the medicine required? The doctor’s fee? The equipment? And, why is the Euro stronger than the dollar?
The question that most resonated in my head after the trip was – how long did it take the Von Trapps to get from Austria over the mountains into the safety of Switzerland? Renza and I also wondered during our two weeks together: How do you really solve a problem like Maria?
Well, I googled it this weekend while my family watched the movie, and I came across an article from the National Archives. Long story short, my day was ruined. Ruined, I tell you! Sound of Music lovers, prepare yourselves:
The Von Trapps escaped Austria by train, and they entered Italy largely unnoticed. They did not carry large suitcases and musical instruments with them. That’s right, no sneaking about in the Abbey hiding from Nazis. No “climbing every mountain” from Vienna to Switzerland.
I know, there’s a need for deep breaths to prevent panicking. The Von Trapps went to ITALY, not Switzerland! Lies! The real Maria looked nothing like Julie Andrews. They had 10 children, not seven, and Captain Von Trapp never stopped loving music, even after his wife died. And, to top it all off, Maria was not even in love with Georgg when they got married; the nuns convinced her it was God’s will for her to marry him because she loved the children. She eventually fell in love with him later. Lies! The movie is built on lies!
What’s next, are they going to tell me Rolf and Leisl never danced in the Gazebo on rainy nights?
I think that this hurts more than finding out about Santa.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
yes, my world was crushed when I watched the "special features" on my collector's addition Sound of Music DVD...there was nothing special about it.
ReplyDelete