"into marvelous light i'm running...
by the cross you are the way, the truth, the life.

lift my hands and spin around, see the light that i have found
oh the marvelous light, the marvelous light!"


Sunday, July 5, 2009

pursuing happiness

I found this quote while I was researching facts about America for my fourth-graders last week, preparing a lesson on why we celebrate the fourth of july. ("Because we like fireworks" is not a legit reason.)

John Adams wrote to his beloved wife Abigail: "The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more."

Every July 4th seems better than the last to me. It is one of my most favorite holidays, favorite days of the year. One reason I enjoy it so much is because, compared to other holidays, it is so low-key, low pressure. No long list of gifts to buy. Don't have to find someone to kiss when the clock strikes midnight. No mothers (especially mine) running around the kitchen cooking and vacuuming and setting the table. Last year I was in Washington, the four years before that at Camp, in the hill country with sweet friends, fireworks, and watermelon - what else do you need?

This year, back in the hill country after Charles Roitsch's wedding, I was reminded more than ever of the sanctity of life. We do not live forever. I miss you, Homie.

Yet I am more appreciative of the time we are given: what if I had been born within borders of a country that said i wasn't free? That killed me for being a Christian? That dictated my rights as woman, making me inferior to a man? That told me who to marry? What job I could have? How many children?

I become more thankful and more prideful of my status as an American as each July Fourth rolls around. It occured to me that if I get the change to live to be 90 years old, my heart will literally explode on Independce Day, no room left for any more love or pride for my country. (I will/would turn 90 in year 2076. Wow.)

But an exploding heart would make a pretty cool firework, and a pretty fitting tribute to our great nation. Can I get an "ewwwww??"

Hope you had a wonderful fourth, wherever you were. And I hope your heart had a mini-explosion of pride that you... are...an... AMERICAN. You have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Whoop.

No comments:

Post a Comment