"into marvelous light i'm running...
by the cross you are the way, the truth, the life.

lift my hands and spin around, see the light that i have found
oh the marvelous light, the marvelous light!"


Thursday, October 1, 2009

you can't play. you're an adult now.

our class gained a new student six weeks into school. he is very inquisitive, asks a lot of questions, still seems to be soaking up his surroundings at KIPP even though he's been here nearly two weeks.

i'm used to the daily barrage of questions. i try to just answer them as quickly and honestly as possible and move on.

well, today was glorious. nice weather, nice classroom environment, etc. we're on the playground, i'm running around chasing students pretending to be a dragon. (they love it, i promise, you should see the delight on their faces as they run shrieking and giggling from me.)

so, i grabbed the new-ish student and said: "i got you!"

he looks at me, seeming perturbed. "miss roberson...long pause...WHAT are you doing?"

"well, ___ ," I asked him..."what do you mean, what am i doing?"

"WHAT are you doing?"

"I'm playing!!!" Duh.

"Miss Roberson, how can you DO that?? You're an ADULT now."

Hahaha. "Adults can play, too you know!" I told him as I grabbed and hissed at another student who was running past us.

"What? No they can't."

Obviously I sat him down and explained you can have fun at any age and that having fun is really important and yada yada yada. He seemed unconvinced, so I just scuttled off yelling and shrieking "I'm going to get youuuuuuuuuu!" at the other children, children who either don't think I'm an adult (highly likely) or they don't have a problem with adults having fun.

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness! I don't know whether to think that's hilarious or so sad I could cry. CRob, I can say with confidence that you are in no way an adult. Better?

    ReplyDelete