"into marvelous light i'm running...
by the cross you are the way, the truth, the life.

lift my hands and spin around, see the light that i have found
oh the marvelous light, the marvelous light!"


Tuesday, October 9, 2012

happy birthday, amy clare






If the every family in the world had an Amy Carrigan among them, I am convinced we’d reach world peace very soon.

My future sister-in-law (yep, my brother is getting married!!!) is amazing. I’m not sure amazing covers it. She’s turning twenty-three on October 9, but she has the wisdom of someone much older.

My brother has been smitten with Amy for years. Sometimes it feels like I’ve been hearing about Amy for decades. How many times have I heard: I miss Amy. I love Amy. I think I messed things up with Amy. Amy loves me. I love Amy. I miss Amy. Amy is wonderful. Blah blah blah blahty blah.

But then you realize that Amy-itis is contagious. Amy is one of those people that you just want to be around more and more. Amy brings joy and comfort wherever she goes – literally, wherever. If it’s a ski trip, a weekend in the hill country, a Young Life trip, a mission trip to Africa, a mundane work night in Houston, whatever. Amy is exudes gentleness, kindness, love, mercy, and grace.

My brother is at peace around Amy in a way he’s never been with anyone else. He can be frustrated, stressed, rowdy, silly and telling jokes,  and you give him enough alone time with Amy… you’ll find him curled up on top of a bed, snuggly and cuddly and whispering things to Amy. She has magical powers.

Gentry and Amy are a great fit for the other, a compliment to the others personality and needs. God has shown his capability to redeem others through their relationship. He has shown his ability to bring peace to all situations through Amy’s love for my brother. He has shown his ability to design us to find strength in our weakness through my brother’s vulnerability when around Amy. (Sorry, can’t think of a less cheesy word than vulnerability.) Their smiles when around the other are contagious. 

Amy delights in others so well – her family, her three sisters, my parents and even myself. Her friends and her nieces – Amy is loyal and caring always. Her ability to forgive others, including myself, baffles me. She defies worldly reasoning in arguments and always takes the high road.

My brother may have stopped reading at this point. He is surrounded by people who recognize Amy for what she is – amazing. He is told constantly how lucky and blessed he is to have her in his life. I’m sure at this point he’s thinking “she has faults, people!”

These I do not doubt. For Amy to be able to function in my family she often tunes Gentry and I out (ie while talking about books) and then we ask her a question (about a previously mentioned book) and she’ll say “Sorry, I stopped listening a while ago…”

Also, she can be a “pushover” - sometimes too patient or nice for her own good. For example, she recently let her niece sleep in her Halloween costume instead of PJs and stay up way past her bedtime. Her own children I’m sure will pull off all kinds of stunts.  

Regardless of minor faults, I am thankful for Amy Carrigan daily. And recently, through the unexpected death of my dad, I am thankful for her hourly. My brother would be much more of a wreck without Amy to walk through this with him. I am excited to see what the next twenty-three years hold for sweet Amy (probably lots of vacation time and double dates with me!!! She is undoubtedly thrilled…)

I know if God has already worked so much for his glory through her, I can’t fathom what’s next. The entire Robinson clan (and a Prochaska) is blessed to call Amy family, encouraged from being around her, and comforted by her patience.

We love you, Amy!
Happy, happy, happiest of birthdays!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment