"into marvelous light i'm running...
by the cross you are the way, the truth, the life.

lift my hands and spin around, see the light that i have found
oh the marvelous light, the marvelous light!"


Wednesday, October 24, 2012

what are we doing?

The minister at the church where I grew up, Chapelwood UMC, is amazing. Truly. If you don't know Jim Jackson, you should find a way to get to know him. You can sign up here:
http://www.jimsdailyawakenings.com/

Today's daily email from Jim definitely hit home - it's about a man dying young after spending his life doing incredible, interesting things. 


The Greek philosopher, Aristotle, was the boyhood tutor to Alexander the Great. One day Aristotle told Alexander he would have to make a choice between living a short but intensely interesting, productive life, or a long, boring life. Obviously, Alexander chose the former. He died at 33 after having conquered the known world.
If you had to choose between a long, boring life and a short, event-filled life, which would you opt for?
Real life is not measured by the number of our years, but by the difference we have made in the lives of others.
It's time to start asking, "Why am I here? What am I supposed to be doing? What difference am I supposed to make?" Once you have the answers to these questions, get on with it.

My dad was far from perfect, and we certainly didn't call him "Tom the Great" like Alexander, and he won't be found in history books, but... I am thankful for the light he brought into our lives by really really really living his life. What a call to action his death brings for so many of us still on this Earth. 

As always, thanks for reading. -CAR



No comments:

Post a Comment