"Springing forward" was my dad’s favorite. He loved using up
every minute of daylight – when we were younger, spring daylight savings time meant
more time to play outside when he was home from work, more time to get dirty, to breathe fresh air, to roller-blade or bike or walk with mom and Sam, our beloved golden.
I could feel dad in the
way the light poured in my window from the west tonight, as I drove home from
work. Sunset feels different after springing forward, as spring and summer
approach, the sun hangs longer on the horizon, and it reminds me of so much he
loved.
They say it’s a three year roller-coaster, this thing called
grief. A minister told me that, about a month after Dad died. “The first three years are the hardest.” I
remember thinking, three years? That may as well be forever. This will forever
be hard.
I also remember a few people telling me this will get easier
with time. And though I know they’re right in some ways, it still fired me up
on the inside. It’s not ever going to be easy, life without my dad. Who are you
to dare to tell me that? But I’m sure I’ve told others that, before I knew
about this bone-crushing grief. I hope they forgive me for careless words.
So it’s been a year and a half, since Dad’s accident. 18
months. If the three-year-theory is true, we’re halfway there. And I see a lot
of truth in what Josef said – this is a continual roller coaster, but the highs
stay high and the lows get less and less low. Or less and less often. Or both.
Saturday night was a deep low for me. I was physically
exhausted after an amazing day with old friends, friends who are in my life if
for nothing else than to prove God’s grace. I don’t deserve them. I didn’t see
the low coming, when it hit me, and there I was – sobbing. Gasping for air.
Alone in my house. It had been a loooong time since I had felt this, the fear,
the panic, the inability to be soothed – Dad. Is. Not. Coming. Back. Not for
me, not for my brother, not for my husband who I so very much wanted my dad to
be there for. Not for my children, not for his friends, not for the Chen boys,
and the worst of the worst, not for my mom. She was fifty-two when the plane
crashed. If she lives to ninety (my new most fervent prayer request) she will
have gone thirty-eight years on memory alone. It’s terrifying and tragic and
too sad for me to wrap my brain around at times. Like Saturday night.
Then it passes. Ironically it’s usually my mom that pulls me
up out of the pit. And it’s good for the tears to roll, less often now than
before, and I know, the crying and the uncontrollable shakes and the
desperation, it is good. Because it passes, and it’s out of my system for a
while, and somehow some clarity comes with it.
“I can’t do this anymore. I really just can’t. He is not
coming back, Mom, and I just…we can’t I don’t see how we can do this.”
“We have to, sweet girl.” She said patiently.
And then, just when I think the hurt might swallow me up,
the car starts back up the track. It click, click, clicks up the rollercoaster
track, slowly. And we come to a view of daylight savings time, the smell of
baseball in the air, and nothing but sweet memories of Dad. And it is okay, for
now. It is okay.
No comments:
Post a Comment