There is a lot in this life that I am unsure about, lots that makes wonder and ponder and doubt.
But from the first date, I was sure about Drew - and not even assurance that was from me really, it just felt like, peace, bigger than I had known before. Like, "this is it." As we dated and got to know each other, it felt like God was hitting me over the head saying "It's your time. This is the one. You two are better together than you are apart."
Supportive, funny, wonderful. He reminds me of dad in so many ways, from his unruly eye brows and inability to remember names, to the way he makes budgeting spreadsheets and work out calendars and puts others above himself. It was important before Dad passed away that they have similarities, and it's so appreciated and comforting now.
We argue, we think differently on many topics (never thought I'd fall for someone outside the GOP!!!) and I'm rude to him ("you're wearing THAT?")
But we also encourage each other, make each other laugh til our faces hurt, and remind each other as we face pain around us that there's more to life than what we see on the surface.
Drew pushes me, and often if we miss church or have a long drive, like a Sunday a few months ago driving back from a lacrosse tournament, he had us listen to sermons in the car. And we recently heard one about living life with an "open palm" instead of a closed fist around the things we love. We should be able, with an open, outstretched palm, be able to share our most cherished possessions, including our loved ones.
I am aware that it is unholy to cling to tight to what God has given us. We cannot demand blessings from God. We cannot close our fist around the things we want to keep and live our lives very joyfully. Closed fists almost always indicates anger.
I don't know if we'll be married 13 or 30 or 60 years, because I don't know our number of days remaining on the earth. My mom and Mary have been great examples to me of an extravagant love that gives strength to go on, even in the midst of heart-breaking sorrow.
Drew pushes me to do the same. To love each other and those around us with everlasting hope. To be so thankful for our many, many blessings. Blessings I forget to even count as a blessing in my busyness. To count the glass as half full.
Lord, let me stop today and realize, I am in need of nothing. My glass-my cup-is more than half full. In fact, my cup runneth over.

No comments:
Post a Comment