"into marvelous light i'm running...
by the cross you are the way, the truth, the life.

lift my hands and spin around, see the light that i have found
oh the marvelous light, the marvelous light!"


Tuesday, December 6, 2016

happy 2nd birthday, catherine clare! {12.5.16}

Dear Clare, 

Happy 2nd birthday, sweet girl! Gosh, do I feel like a little old lady saying "time has flown by!" I remember the day you came home from the hospital as if it was just last week... and now you're walking, talking 2 years old! Wowza!

At just two, you have such a clear personality. You are so sweet, and you are very patient and gentle with others. Thomas likes to rip bows out of your hair and you rarely even blink when he does; you patiently wait for someone to put it back for you. You know everyone's names and make them feel so special - all your aunts and uncles and cousins and friends! 






I see much of your mommy's sweet disposition and grace in you, Clare, and I pray that continues to grow. She is the sweetest mommy! I also see your daddy's determination and his love to laugh in you. You can be so silly! Your giggle is contagious! 

I sure wish your Pops were here to teach you things, to spoil you, to love on you. But you have the biggest fan club and there is so much of Pops all around - in your daddy, in Lovie and Pops friends, and in you, too! You LOVE to dance slightly off beat to "Brick House" on repeat. If that's not evidence enough that Pops lives in you, I don't know what is! 

It's been another year of joys and sorrows, my love bug. One of your daddy's best friends from college died in an accident this year. We have been reminded that life is fragile. Hunter was almost 30 years old and so full of life - and then, in a blink, gone. But the Lord is always good, sweet girl. God is not death - He is love and grace and peace. Hunter's family shared stories of how he loved people so well, and his favorite verse was one you should memorize too - Micah 6:8: "He has shown you, oh man, what is good - to act justly and love mercy and walk humbly with your God." 

Your dad has Hunter stories that are so funny I've shot water through my nose listening to them. I watched your grandfather's memorial service video recently, and I noticed Hunter in the front row - what a great friend he was to so many people, including your dad and our family.  And now we've been to his memorial service. Our lives are intertwined with big love and excruciating  loss. Be brace and courageous, Clare bear! We cannot let fear of losing wonderful people paralyze us - always keep living. I pray you always live boldly and do big things and love people like crazy. 

This year, though you were just two years old, our family has been reminded that even if you've known great pain, life still brings new hurts. We are never exempt from it. I love this quote: 

"Love and hate are beasts, and the one you feed is the one that grows." 


Choose hope, sweet girl, as your Honey and Lovie and Mary and so many people around you who have known great loss have chosen. Choose love. Life is not always fair or even understandable, but the Lord promises us a peace that goes beyond understanding if we run to him. Take him your hurts, sweet girl.  

On a much lighter note, I will always remember our trip to Florida this year - if for no other reason than you threw up on me and Thomas twice. We had a terrible awful stomach bug! But we survived. And we'll laugh about it someday... you and me and Thomas out for a long walk ,and me trying to run while pregnant and pull y'alls wagon back to the house as fast as I could before you threw up again. We are bonded forever, my love!


Wow, what a year it has been, Clare! You are growing so much and you are smart as a whip! I cannot get over how many words and phrases you know. I love hearing you say "no sir, Tossy" (you call Thomas "Tossy"). This will be your last birthday as an "only child" - this time next year, baby brother will be here! You are going to be a fantastic big sister! From one bossy (aka wise) big sister to another, you've got what it takes to be a great big sis! And if you find yourself needing any pointers, you know where to find me, love bug! 

I am so honored and proud to be your aunt. You are going places, sweet pea! 

Eskimo Kisses, 
Lolly 














































Ps I love how you adore Uncle Drew. Me too! If we never have a daughter,  I am counting on you to teach him some things, like the difference between a dress and a skirt. I've tried, but he still doesn't know. We love you bunches! 

No comments:

Post a Comment