"into marvelous light i'm running...
by the cross you are the way, the truth, the life.

lift my hands and spin around, see the light that i have found
oh the marvelous light, the marvelous light!"


Sunday, September 27, 2009

100 MILLION DOLLARS

The co-founder of Gap, Inc. died today at age 81 after a long fight with cancer. I had no idea who created Gap until I joined Teach for America and read the book about KIPP - "Work Hard, Be Nice."

Gap's success and its founders generosity are a large reason that I have a job today. Don Fisher & his wife have given, to date, ONE HUNDRED MILLION dollars to KIPP and Teach for America. How much is 100 million dollars? i have no idea, can't wrap my mind around a number like that. But its even weirder for me to imagine myself giving that kind of money away. I don't care how much money you have, giving away a chunk like $100 million is the definition of generosity. Thanks, Mr & Mrs Fisher!

Read more here.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125408495328144473.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_sections_business

And, just for the record, anytime I read about Gap in the news or make a purchase at one of their stores, I can't help but think of the infamous Alison Paige Jarvis. Love that girl.

1 comment:

  1. oh how i love Gap. Thanks for the shout-out C-Rob. Love you too. I start at J Crew today...but Gap will always have a special place in my heart :)

    ReplyDelete