His watch continues to count the hours and minutes as they
pass. His dress watch sits on my brother’s arm and his work-out ironman watch
sits on mine. His watch does not tell time for him, but counts the time that
has flown by since his spirit left the earth.
It has begun to sink in, as I wrap his watchband tightly
around my wrist, wishing I could tightly wrap my arms around his living and
breathing body, that he is not coming back to us.
The bible and our faith promises us, assures us, that there
is more. Faith is hard and confusing and weird, but if it were easy it would
not be real. If there was no need to trust, what would a relationship with God
look like? There are things we are not meant to understand and questions we
must learn to stop asking. God has wrapped us with the goodness and
faithfulness of our family & friends, but we still must ride this rollercoaster,
strapped in with no exit.
The rollercoaster has moments with beautiful views,
memories, wind in our faces, but also moments that leave your stomach feeling
as if it is a few feet below you, your heart racing, palms sweaty, praying you’ll
survive. Life would certainly be boring without the high highs and the low lows
of this rollercoaster, I get that. We would cease living if everything felt
flat like a pancake or Midwestern prairie. We must live, not fearful of death
or completely changed by it, but aware that life is precious, each day a
blessing.
What made my dad so loveable and why he is missed so much is because
he lived with energy, excitement, faith, compassion, love. He signed up for the
rollercoaster and he did not chicken out- he did not sit on the sidelines. He
loved. He cared. He hooped. He hollered. He danced. He laughed. He made others
dance. He made others laugh. He filled us with warmth. He reminded us to pray.
He inspired us to work hard. He loved so well.
My mind is filled
with maybes. Maybe he’s not really gone. Maybe it hasn’t actually been more than two
weeks since he breathed in oxygen. Maybe his plane didn’t crash.
Maybe he will be there to walk me down the aisle. Maybe he
will be around to hold his grandchildren. Maybe he will still sprint past me at
the Marble Falls triathlon. Maybe he’ll still hold my mom’s hand as they drive
down the highway.
Maybe he’ll come home and lay on his side of the bed so that
I won’t have to. Maybe he’ll still meet my brother to play golf. Maybe he’ll
still call William in a funny accent or to ramble about baseball. Maybe he’ll
still take inventory of Mary’s pantry when we go out to the Chen’s house
together. Maybe that buzzing overhead is not a stranger in an unknown plane,
but my dad, buzzing the house.
Maybe he’ll build that fence with Drew like he talked about.
Maybe they’ll still go smoke cigars and have a man date before our wedding.
Maybe we’ll still text about if we’ll dance to “Johnny B Good” or “the Wobble”
at our wedding.
Maybe this is not happening. Maybe, maybe, maybe.
Just when I think this can’t get more painful, just when I
find it too hard to breathe and have to concentrate really hard to swallow,
hope forces its way in with those maybes. It’s not a huge amount of hope, but
it’s there nonetheless.
Maybe we can get through this. Maybe my mom is as strong as
she seems. Maybe all those prayers are paying off. Maybe peace that goes beyond
reasoning or understanding exists. Maybe life is not fair, but life is still
good. Maybe accidents happen and there is nothing we can do. Maybe if others
have done this, we can too. Maybe God’s timeline is vastly different from ours,
and days and years have a whole different meaning in Heaven. Maybe He loves us
more than we know. Maybe we must press on.
Maybe this is just a stage in the grieving process. Maybe
someday I’ll think of my dad and not want to cry out in sorrow, or hit
something. Already my smile is genuine, not forced, when I think of the love he
had for his family and the zest he had for life. Maybe we are called to emulate
that, and move forward. Maybe we are to have more faith, and fewer questions.
Maybe we are to have fewer possessions, and more memories and actions. Maybe we
are called for more, and we must answer that call.

This is amazing. You have brought me to tears. I love you guys and continue to pray for you guys. When I read the part about your dad making people dance I think back to April when he was in VA and Jason and I came home. That night we played Naked and drank some wine. During the game we started dancing and did not stop. Also, he was a hit on the dance floor at my wedding. He is an amazing man with an amazing family.
ReplyDeleteCourtney,
ReplyDeleteYou are simply amazing as was your precious Dad. This summer Katie and I had a motto called, "What the Heck" to encourage us to try new things and not be so afraid. I love that Katie and your dad jumped off the "cliff" together at your lakehouse screaming "What The Heck!" He and I stayed up late that night eating, drinking listening to music and enjoying each others company.
Your dad is going to be so so missed but i can tell you that my life has been changed for the better because I knew Tom Robinson.
I'm keeping you all in my prayers and everytime I sign up for something fun, cool and adventuresome, you can bet I'm going to think of your sweet dad.
Love you, precious one
Xoxo Court and family
Courtney,
ReplyDeleteSuch a beautiful post. As Tom knew, with Jesus, life is one big party because it becomes a celebration of victory and joy. That's the one thing about having Jesus as part of your life: he turns every day into a celebration of the good life. No matter what tragedies or setbacks life may have in store, the heart given to Jesus will find joy in living. That's because such a life is spent in quite confidence in God's promise of salvation through Jesus, a confidence that inevitably bubbles up into a joy that the troubles of the world cannot touch. When a life is celebrated with Jesus, the party never stops. Your Dad is partying on in heaven and we must too. God bless you, Gentry and your Mom.
Wow Courtney...pretty powerful. Well said and you did it so well. You just spoke to everyone that has lost someone close. You put my feelings into words and I have never been able to do that. Thanks for sharing this and hope you and your family are doing well. You have a beautiful family and your dad is so proud. He is smiling down right now and knows that you guys will continue the legacy he started. Stay strong by taking this one step at a time. You will never forget but you will be able to cope easier as time passes. We love you and please call if you need anything. David and Stacy Bennett
DeleteCourtney, it is so evident that the grace of God surrounds you. You are a child of Christ and live for him....as your Dad wanted.
ReplyDeleteI am still broken hearted by the loss of my good dear friend, your Dad. I know God has a plan and we need to trust it as much as it hurts.
Love you, Gentry and Cathy.
Clay Parcells
Courtney, my heart breaks for you but I am so encouraged by your hope and by the fact that your dad was an example for you and all he knew of the abundant life that Christ offers us! We are praying for you often, and wish we could be nearer.
ReplyDeleteLove, Ashley Carl