"into marvelous light i'm running...
by the cross you are the way, the truth, the life.

lift my hands and spin around, see the light that i have found
oh the marvelous light, the marvelous light!"


Monday, September 5, 2016

Pam Thompson's Bible Study

Last spring, I did something that was awesome, but felt so very weird every time I did.

I joined a Tuesday morning women's bible study. At 10 am.

"I should be at work!!!!" my mind screamed. For eight years since college, I have not been "free" at 10 am on a Tuesday morning. It felt sort of absurd. But my life changed so fast when Thomas was born in June 2015 - and I've slowly, over the course of a year, adjusted to the fact that I am a part-time SAHM. (Stay at home mom. Apparently there is an abbreviation for everything.) Sidenote, I am constantly reminded, mostly through conversations with others, that I am incredibly lucky to get to work three days a week and be with Thomas for the other two. I feel so grateful for that and promise myself to never grumble or take it for granted.

Anyways, so on a Tuesday in January, my sister in law Amy and I planned to meet at Pam's bible study. I dropped six month old Thomas off in the childcare building, where he was the only one in the class for that week, and a sweet lady promised to take excellent care of him for the next 50 minutes.

Before I tell you more, I will tell you this: I cannot wait for Pam's fall bible study to start. This was the BEST use of my Tuesday morning - and somedays it felt like quite the feat to get Thomas dressed and me presentable and his bag packed and out the door to be at Second Baptist by 10 am. But I learned so much, felt recharged from Pam's teachings for the week, and we usually got to play with Clare and Amy after the study. A win for all!

Do you know Pam Thompson? She is amazing. I got to know her when she was a Renovate client (my mom is an interior designer and her firm/storefront is called Renovate, and I work for her. Or she works for me...depends who you ask.) Anyways, it was a neat perspective to meet Pam outside of her study - to see how genuine she is, and to see how she really shares herself and her life when she is leading. I felt the same sitting in her living room with just my mom, Pam, and myself, as I did sitting in a pew with over one hundred women listening to her share wisdom from the Bible.

Also, we should note that Pam is a bubbly, energetic, beautiful blonde, long and lean, but somehow pulls off her beauty without being intimidating. I show up for her class in workout clothes, simply thankful my teeth have been brushed and Thomas is wearing pants. Yet I feel welcomed and not out of place. Pam is, as they say, the real deal.

Okay, so after all this, here is my pitch for you women to join Pam's study on Tuesday's at 10. Whether you're a young mom or not as young mom, or if you're not a mom but your schedule allows it, I highly recommend signing up for Pam's study that meets in the Second Baptist chapel once a week. Here is the link. Pam also teaches on Wednesdays at the West/Katy location for you west-siders.

Because this post is long enough already, I'm going to divide up the teaching from last spring into another post - or maybe two. She taught about "difficult" people and how to deal with them - how there are actually "difficult" people in scripture. I was pretty blown away by the examples she gave and the tactics she shared for dealing with difficult people. It was a good reminder that universally, we all deal with some pretty tricky people in our lives - people who are manipulative, hurtful, selfish, etc. But it's been hard for me to know what to do with them. Love your enemy and all that sure, but Pam has practical, real ways to move forward with your life and not let that difficult pain-in-the-toosh person be your "story."

So check back for my summary of Pam's teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment