"into marvelous light i'm running...
by the cross you are the way, the truth, the life.

lift my hands and spin around, see the light that i have found
oh the marvelous light, the marvelous light!"


Sunday, April 3, 2011

horsin' around

Sunday afternoon I found myself at the Houston Polo Club, surrounded by green trees, pretty grass fields, wonderful people, a fun band, and the best part...horses. If it weren't for the oppresive humidity, I would have completely forgotten I was in the 713.



Young Friends of Yellowstone Academy had a fundraiser today at the polo grounds to raise money and awareness of their fabulous charter school fighting for equal education of Houston kiddos living in poverty. Does that sound familiar to what I spend my days doing? Pretty much.

Enter Lauren Simpson and Genie Thompson. Some of the most genuine, outrageously hilarious, fun-loving girls I've ever come across. Though I missed the doctor today, and it wasn't quite the same as a three day weekend in Taos, I had a great afternoon with them. My face always hurts from laughing when I'm around them.


All three of us love horses, but as Heights residents we don't come across them often on Sunday afternoons. So, we spent nearly a half hour walking through part of the stables talking to some polo ponies. I quickly found a friend who was very happy to bump me with his nose if I stopped showering him with love pats. (Similar to our golden retriever.) Lauren wandered among several stalls, commenting on the size of each horses' bowel movements and as usual, being completely inappropiate.


And Genie. Leave it to Genie to find a gray horse with quite the personality. As Genie talked to him, he would bow his head to the ground and position himself to get a rub in just the right spot on his neck. And when she would scratch him below the chin, he would stretch his neck like a giraffe and open his mouth as large as possible, showing all of his teeth as if we were horse dentists. We repeated this routine six or seven times before I could gather myself from hysterical laughing to hold a camera to document the whole thing.


Guess what the horses' name? Fantasma. All around, it was fantasmic afternoon. Oops, I meant fantastic.

go kappa. or go home.

1 comment: