
This story is fascinating as I inhabited a room in Washington D.C. once that was 6 feet by 4 feet, ish. I had the gracious Katherine McClellan as my host family for the 9 months I was in the Harry Potter closet - she let me have a good chunk of one of her closets and use the living room, kitchen, anything and everything, as if it was my own. But really she could have just left me locked in my tiny room at the top of the stairs.

When my bestie came to visit and see my room in the charming Georgetown rowhouse, she peeked in my room. (We couldn't really both fit inside my room at the same time.) She looked at me, and the twin bed, and the Ikea mirror and shelf unit, and she said... "Seriously? You're going to seriously live here?" Um, yep. One of the best times of my life. And I have a lightening bolt on my forehead, too....
Barbara King: Unbelievable.
David Kaihoi: Pretty small, isn't it?
David Kaihoi: Pretty small, isn't it?

It's Lilliputian! There are walk-in closets bigger than your bedroom.
Yeah, it's only eight-by-eight feet. And all three of us sleep in there.
Divide the family into the total square footage and you each get 130 square feet.
Before Mirabelle was born, Monique and I were in an apartment that was 300 square feet. We're old pros at the tiny-space lifestyle.
Here's the most surprising thing of all: it doesn't feel claustrophobic.
The way to stay happy when you're living on top of one another is by ruthlessly editing — one thing in, one thing out. A place for everything, and everything in its place. It's a difficult and daily battle, but we deal with it.
Yeah, it's only eight-by-eight feet. And all three of us sleep in there.
Divide the family into the total square footage and you each get 130 square feet.
Before Mirabelle was born, Monique and I were in an apartment that was 300 square feet. We're old pros at the tiny-space lifestyle.
Here's the most surprising thing of all: it doesn't feel claustrophobic.
The way to stay happy when you're living on top of one another is by ruthlessly editing — one thing in, one thing out. A place for everything, and everything in its place. It's a difficult and daily battle, but we deal with it.
So what brought a milk-fed Midwesterner to the East Village?
Boy chases girl who was chasing a fashion dream. Monique is a visual merchandiser at DKNY. I followed her here from Minnesota eight years ago.
Was interior design your dream?
Never. I was a studio artist. But I met Miles Redd when I was doing art installations for ILevel, and he offered me a job. He's been a huge influence on me — his
Boy chases girl who was chasing a fashion dream. Monique is a visual merchandiser at DKNY. I followed her here from Minnesota eight years ago.
Was interior design your dream?
Never. I was a studio artist. But I met Miles Redd when I was doing art installations for ILevel, and he offered me a job. He's been a huge influence on me — his
No comments:
Post a Comment