i continue to be in awe of the human race. while recently watching "the switch" and admiring jason bateman's comedic genius, I found this quote:
"Look at us, running around. Always rushed, always late. I guess that's why they call it the human race. What we crave most in this world is connection."
I recently had a conversation with a group of women, some strangers and some not, and several confessed to being in a pretty lonely place in life. For once, I am not. (And I don't necessarily mean romantically, two of these women were married and still struggling with lonely stuff.)
It struck me how funny that we go through emotions and periods of life at different times from those around us, that we become equipped to relate to others, to help them cope, to breathe empathy? It's as if it's, oh, I don't know, some kind of... plan. How funny!
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord. "Plans for your welfare, not destruction, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11
I'll tell you, I do not claim to understand the plan or the reasons, but I do know that the older I get, the more receptive to this plan I become. The more trusting. The less doubtful, guarded, cynical.
Recently a high school friend of mine (literally, a friend of mine who is currently in high school) showed up at my house (oops, my parents' house in which i currently reside) and was a mess. Crying, upset, hurting. I may sound insane, but I felt full of warm fuzzy feelings. I had walked this road before and come out alive. There I was, an instrument of grace, sharing wisdom not from myself but from scriptures and books and lessons learned before this sweet girl. I was so thankful, grateful, to have been able to be there for her, even if just for sixty minutes. Isn't that what life is about? Relating to others in their troubles. Loving others. Trusting. Sometimes hurting, other times tilted towards the sun, smile on the face, wind in the hair. Sometimes sunshine, sometimes dark and rainy. Regardless, always hopeful.
For whatever reason, though family members around me are hurting and friends are going through growing pains and life isn't blissful, I am overwhelmed by hope today.
Psalm 31:24 "Be strong, and let your heart take courage, All you who hope in the LORD."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment