"into marvelous light i'm running...
by the cross you are the way, the truth, the life.

lift my hands and spin around, see the light that i have found
oh the marvelous light, the marvelous light!"


Sunday, May 10, 2009

tax returns? really?

The best part of being an adult, of budgeting during my first year (nine months) out of the house and holding down a job, just happened!!

That's right, I checked my bank balance, and extra money had arrived courtesy of the IRS. It hasn't even been a month since I filed my taxes, and there it is, via direct deposit.

It's not a huge sum of money, but it will fill my gas tank a few times this summer. Or it will pay for school supplies for my classroom, or accessories for my new house (okay, apartment). I'll probably help boost the economy and spend it at my favorite place in the world, anthropologie.

All I know is, I must be really old if I'm getting tax returns! When did this happen?

I know this, too - everyone complains about taxes. But really - if it just takes a half hour annually to fill out some forms and the government deposits some money in my bank account a month later, are taxes really so terrible?

Considering the fact that I paid over $700 in social security in 2008 and I will never. ever. ever. see a dime of that money, then yes, our tax system could definitely be qualified as terrible.

But for now, let's focus on the positive. There's money in my checking account and summer dresses on sale everywhere. In short, the IRS is my new best friend.
**editors note: my financial guru (also referred to lovingly as "dad") directed my attention to my W2 from '08. Apparently, I paid $1500 in social security taxes, not $700 as first noted here. The ridiculous continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment