"into marvelous light i'm running...
by the cross you are the way, the truth, the life.

lift my hands and spin around, see the light that i have found
oh the marvelous light, the marvelous light!"


Wednesday, August 3, 2011

a thousand thank yous

I ask too many questions, I overanalyze things, I doubt. A weekend in Salt Lake City was a time to throw questions and details to the wind, and forget them forever. It did not matter how I had met these amazing women or what I had done to deserve their friendship. It did not matter what I was wearing, if I had lost ten pounds before the trip as planned, or what my plane ticket cost.



It was a summer Friday afternoon, and I found myself in a backyard owned by people I did not know nor would I likely see again, in a city I had never before visited.


The sun was slowly making its way to the horizon, mountains visible in the distance, a touch of snow on their peaks. We had gone out west to visit our friend Katherine, who was six weeks into her residency: a genuine, real-life medical doctor. She had taken us to a backyard gathering; while she mingled among other medical people, Lauren and Genie and I took over the backyard badminton area. Lauren and Genie, both teachers in Houston, are hilarious, delightful, witty, ridiculous. I love them with all my heart.


As I threw my head back in laughter while they teased me for whiffing the ball so many times, I knew this life was something for which to be thankful. Sure, a lot of things are up in the air right now: what will my next source of income be? When will I move out of my parents’ house? What century will true love show up? When will I ever have children of my own? Not all are things which cross my mind daily, but they come pretty close. Yet this, right here, this moment in a strange backyard with terrific friends, well… “thank you” desperately wanted to spill out of my mouth and cover everything around me. A thousand thank yous would not be enough.


I’m healthy, and happy. I’m surrounded by beautiful friends, standing barefoot in the grass at a July backyard bash, soaking up the cool weather of a mountain town. Details, they’re for the birds. Questions, ask ‘em later. This, right now, is something many never have or forget to reach out for. This is time to laugh, appreciate life, love others. This, right now, is a glorious blessing. This is my time to just…be.




No comments:

Post a Comment