"into marvelous light i'm running...
by the cross you are the way, the truth, the life.

lift my hands and spin around, see the light that i have found
oh the marvelous light, the marvelous light!"


Tuesday, August 11, 2009

i think i just peed in my pants!

When I got the call during the last week of June that I would be interviewing for a Pre-K 3 position, I thought of how much I love little kids and was excited. I also thought... three year olds? Guess I'll be dealing with some potty accidents throughout the year, but nothing huge.

48 hours into this full-time teaching gig and, well, I've already peed my pants. Sort of.

So, all the PreK3 classrooms at KIPP have two full-time, co-teachers to handle the nineteen or twenty kids and keep control of such a large classroom. We take turns who "leads" the lessons or circle time and who "supports" - handles the behavior issues, pulls out kids who need special attention, etc. Well, today was the first day that parents were leaving their kids, they had the option to stay but they could leave if they wanted. One student, we'll call him Jack, was experiencing particularly bad separation anxiety. He was screaming at the top of his lungs for his mom, shrieking, wiping snot on my hands and his. I was able to calm him down and get him to join the rest of the group by holding him or then having him sit in my lap during table activities instead of in the chair by himself.

Then we moved to the carpet to sing 5 Monkeys Swinging in A Tree - oh how my life has changed drastically from the press office at USDA just one year ago - and he lost it. Shaking, hyperventilating, that sort of thing. So I took him to the back of the classroom because Jack told me earlier he really likes books. We got a book, he settled down and leaned back against me as his tried to catch his breath.

I was reading about brown bears and what they see, or something of the like, when all of a sudden - a warm sensation in my lap. In an instant, I thought-What is going on here? Am I peeing in my pants?

No, no, it wasn't me. It was the kiddo in my lap. I don't think he even realized. I lifted him up quickly but he had already done so much damage that my soaked skirt was leaking and my legs were wet.

Yep, someone else's urine was literally, actually running down my legs. Hilarious. I seriously am still laughing out loud about it, because, who would have thought? Not me.

The best part I think was that Jack ran and ran from me, and once he was in the bathroom, both of us both soaked and uncomfortable, he stripped off his clothes and refused to put any back on. Awesome.

Anyways, long story short, we called his mom to come back early and I did get his clothes on before she came. His hysterics ended and I now know to bring extra clothes to work, but... I just can't wait to see how it goes tomorrow.

Seriously, someone else peed my pants for me today. All in the name of significant academic gains, baby!!

1 comment:

  1. Haha oh my goodness, I'm glad you can laugh about it! I remember interning with Head Start and having to deal with this alot but never your exact situation :) Can't wait to hear more funny stories!

    ReplyDelete