I often forget about the power of prayer. Not that God answers all prayers in the way we wish Him too, but just how powerful it is to go to God with conversation. I often remind myself that conversation is just as much listening as it is talking. Sorry, God, I know you've got an earful from me.
Saturday night in Houston was a wonder. I walked down the streets of my new houston neighborhood, the historic heights, with an entourage of friends at my side: new friends from teach for america, friends from A&M, friends from 7th grade, friends from random spots of life. How wonderfully they all mixed together. I had a plastic cup of fruity wine in my hand as bands rocked out in the streets and shops and restaurants threw open their doors for late night shopping and dining.
As the evening progressed we migrated with some dudes who went to that small school in Austin for some two-stepping. I will never pass up the chance to twirl on a dancefloor, even if I did leave my boots at home.
I found myself wide awake at three a.m., home at my parents house (my house) to care for the heathen dogs. A thought struck me: I could still be in D.C. I could have moved to Denver, Charlotte, backwoods Mississippi, but I am here. And I am slowly learning that wherever I am, as comfortable as it may be at times, God will bring me challenges. And wherever I may go, lonely as it may be in the future, God will bring me friends, and joy. As we continue to seek Him, He will continually, not daily or always, but continually, shower us with the joy of knowing Him, and knowing the joys of life.
“Open your eyes to the beauty around you, open your mind to the wonders of life, open your heart to those who love you, and always be true to yourself.” – Donna Davis
"You reveal the path of life to me, in Your Presence is abundant joy, in your right hand eternal pleasures." Psalm 16:11
I will close with a plug for White Linen Nights in the Heights. It's where we were Saturday night and it was so cool. So un-Houston. I'll be sure to be there next year!
http://www.whitelinennightheights.com/
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment