Friends that have the privilege/burden of hearing about my children know that i often refer to this student as "Taylor Swift."I have a wonderful, thoughtful boy in my class who is quite unique. Instead of sitting with the soccer players or zombie fanatics of our class at lunch, daily, without fail, he positions himself as close to my seat as possible. He is almost always on my right side, screaming into my ear about Michael Jackson or American Idol or whatnot, when I'd rather just eat my lean cusine and stare into space.
He's too sweet to ignore though, and for as long as I've known him I knew he was brilliant. He's on a 6th grade comprehension reading level, works hard, and loves, loves, loves music. His reward for a commended score on the TAKS test? His parents will help him make a video for America's Got Talent. When I played kickball with my class in the fall semester, he asked to be the cheerleading captain. And he rocked it, twirls and high kicks and all.

When we met last summer he told me of his love for Michael Jackson and Taylor Swift. We have songs of the week in my class (or at least we did for most of the year, I've been slacking lately) and we "analyze" some of their lyrics. I print off the words and we read them together like poetry - it's a great break from multiple choice practice and it's also good read-aloud practice.
All that to say, he's been begging for weeks to analyze the lyrics of Taylor Swift's "Mean." Other students plugged their ears but sweet boy had earned the chance to play whatever music he wants for an entire day; he has exceptional behavior and I owe him some rewards for it.
So today, after day 2 of standardized Stanford testing, we were illustrating our "memoirs" as an end of year writing project. The last chapter will be our career goals. I've tried to teach my kiddos that you can dream big, dream whatever you want, but that soccer players and pop stars are not "career goals." My dad is athletic, I told them, and played softball/soccer while I was growing up, but he could have not made money for us to eat or live in a house if that was his full-time job. It's a hobby, which is awesome and important, but not a career goal.
I've tried to be nice. I've tried to encourage them positively, let them dream their dreams. But this kid just will not let it go. He's told me since June that he wants to be Taylor Swift. Taylor Swift is tall, thin, long blonde hair, and...a Caucasian female. But that doesn't stop my student. No, his dark skin, short hair, semi-chunky body, and shaky, high-pitched voice does not alter his dreams. He's hell bent on being a pop star... Taylor Swift's successor to be specific.
Here's the whole point of this post. I told him today that I needed an article and illustration that was not a pop star. Pick something else, Bob. (Name changed to protect the future celebrities.)
If you make it as a singer, great, but for this project, no pop stars. I kept walking to other student's desks. One of my students had gotten my message. His picture caption said: "I love soccer. I will be a teacher and soccer coach when I grow up so I can help others and play everyday." (spelling corrected, obviously)
Taylor Swift approached my desk. Oh no. I braced myself.
"Ms. Robinson." He was trying to whisper, his voice serious. "Do you know, Ms. Rob, if you do not let me draw a picture of the career I really want, you are TEACHING ME TO LIE."
I pretended to be unfazed and kept my voice quiet. "Well, Bob, I've made it clear all year that I would like for you to have more than one goal. There are only a very few pop stars in this world, Bob."
Deep sigh from Bob. (He has the drama part down pat. His tears and sniffling and snot used to melt my heart, but now it is black and hardened and I tell him to deal with it, it's just a sensitive cuticle. We do not need to amputate his finger just for that.)
"Okaaaaay." He said it respectively, not in defiance but as if he was thinking, "can't she just get on board with this? that lady is exhausting me."
Then quietly, as Bob returned to his seat, he said... "But I am going to be one."
I'm pretty sure he won't mention me in his Grammy acceptance speech. Aw, shucks. Best of luck, T. Swift. Sorry for teaching you to lie.
DYING ANd LOVE this! :-) I taught a similar boy in 5th grade. . . I'll tell you about him the next time I see you! :-)
ReplyDelete