"into marvelous light i'm running...
by the cross you are the way, the truth, the life.

lift my hands and spin around, see the light that i have found
oh the marvelous light, the marvelous light!"


Saturday, August 8, 2009

my new obsession: julia child

I spent the last two hours watching a movie about a young woman who blogs just for the sake of writing - of adding a little bit of purpose in her life. She comes off as silly and selfish at first when she tells people of her endeavor to blog (about cooking) for 365 days in a row.

Does that sound a little familiar? Why, yes, I think I know someone equally as weird...

She has not a single reader when the journey begins. Sometimes I think that blogging is so silly, and it is, and other times I think it is such a gift. Which it is. The thing Julie had to watch out for was becoming too self-important- but she stuck to her goal because she wanted to finish something she set out to do, no matter how trivial it might seem. Julie is a movie character, yes, but that character is based off a real, live, 30-something woman who lives in NYC. She & I are similar in a lot of ways - except for a few things: she got a book deal from her blog, she has a hot husband who adores her, she lives in queens, she enjoys cooking a lot of random things from scratch.


In case you haven't figured it out yet...I saw the movie Julie&Julia tonight. It was, in a word, splendid. The french accents, Meryl Streep, Stanley Tucci, the costume and set design...one of my new favorites. It is a sure-to-be classic. Run out and see this instant!


The thing that struck me most about the movie was the love stories woven throughout it. I knew going in that Julia Child's husband adored her, but you learn so much more about their relationship throughout the movie, as well as the character Julie and her husband. Both women are extremely blessed in that their husbands want them to seek their passions - and their husbands are wildly passionate about their wives. Both are rare finds, in the 1940s and the 2010s. It is a heartwarming story to be certain. I could listen to Meryl Streep laugh and be kooky like Julia Child for hours. (Which I did, because the movie is a little on the lengthy side.)

I won't be copying her recipes anytime soon, but I will be taking a page out of Mrs. Childs' book on how to have complete zest for life.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh I've been wanting to go see that movie!! I'm so glad you liked it and can't wait to go see it hopefully next weekend :) Have a great first day of teaching tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete